Tuesday, January 3, 2012

92. Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim

Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
1967

Tracks
1. Girl From Ipanema
2. Dindi
3. Change Partners
4. Quiet Nights Of Quiet Stars
5. Meditations
6. If You Never Come To Me 
7. How Insensitive 
8. Concentrate On You 
9. Baubles Bangles And Beads 
10. Once I Loved



Amanda: Frankie boy!  It has been awhile.  I listened to "You Can't Take That Away From Me" this morning and it brightened my entire day.  This album is Frank Sinatra as you know him.  Yes, there is a bit of a Brazilian twist, but basically, you got the same slow crooner.  I really liked this album despite how ordinary it was.  We hadn't listened to Sinatra in a long time.  We also have just been listening to crazy rock albums so this was a nice change from the crazy music kids listen to these days.  I have an appointment so I have to go.  C'est bon revision, non?


RATING: 4/5

Brie: Some people consider Frank Sinatra's voice 'flat', particularly on this album. I have to disagree. I have always loved Sinatra's voice, and it was especially tender on this album. Even though 'The Girl From Ipanema' is such a cliche, I melted when Frank sang it. I also loved 'I Concentrate On You', which was straight out of the Cole Porter song book. Throughout the album, we hear Jobim's soft, steady guitar and it just adds to Sinatra's smooth voice. A must listen to for any Sinatra fan, or any jazz fan for that matter.

RATING: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. The heavy-handed orchestral arrangements are simply too cheesy to be taken seriously in 2020. Still there are some good bits. "I Concentrate on You" and "Baubles, Bangles and Beads" show what could happen when they step up the bossa nova rhythms. Ironically, they are not Jobim's songs.

    ReplyDelete