Thursday, January 5, 2012

96. Surrealistic Pillow

Surrealistic Pillow
Jefferson Airplanes
1967

Tracks
1. She Has Funny Cars
2. Somebody to Love
3. My Best Friend
4. Today
5. Comin’ Back to Me
6. 3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds
7. D. C. B. A.—25
8. How Do You Feel
9. Embryonic Journey
10. White Rabbit
11. Plastic Fantastic Lover



Amanda: I think we have all had some run ins with this band, even if we don't think we did.  If you listen to the song "Somebody to Love", you will instantly recognize it.  Likewise, the song "White Rabbit" is very popular.  It was actually the name of one episode of Lost and I think it played on the Sopranos once.


I didn't think I would like this album.  I thought it would be just another acid rock album that I am now finding really tiresome.  However, this was a pleasant surprise.  The band didn't sound like it was trying to hard to be wildly different which really helps a band (in my 1001 experience) in achieving uniqueness.  I think acid rock fans would shoot you if they knew you hadn't heard "White Rabbit" so definitely listen to this album asap.


RATING: 

Brie: This album was a big part of the soundtrack of the "Summer of Love" in San Francisco. This was Jefferson Airplane's second album and the first to feature Grace Slick, who played keyboards, wrote songs and sang. She performed the vocals on the two hits, "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit". You go, girl. I wonder what it would be like to be the only girl in a band with five other guys....

I digress. Okay, so Jefferson Airplane, like the Grateful Dead, took folk rock and mixed it with a little bit of psychedelia. Some tracks were better than others, but the ones that were good were amazing. Even if you don't listen to the whole album, you should definitely listen to the hits.

RATING:

Ugh, we're back to dealing with these stupid album units? Not to sound lazy, but I liked just typing in my answer. Those units are a pain in the ass, trust me.

3 comments:

  1. You know, I was just thinking .. "No Jefferson Airplane? - non at all?" Not my prefered album of theirs .. but it's OK .. at one time I had just about alltheir stuff .. before they became the dread ultra bland 'Starship'

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My Best Friend" is practically a tribute to Mamas & the Papas, exact same style. And a bit on "How Do You Feel" too. Grace Slick's backing vocals give this album a special sound for me. And the songs are excellent throughout. Great album. "White Rabbit" is tremendous but it's over too soon.

    ReplyDelete