Friday, January 20, 2012

127. Music From Big Pink

Music From Big Pink
The Band
1968

Tracks
1. Tears Of Rage
2. To Kingdom Come
3. In A Station
4. Caledonian Mission
5. Weight
6. We Can Talk
7. Long Black Veil
8. Chest Fever
9. Lonesome Suzie
10. This Wheel's On Fire
11. I Shall Be Released



Amanda: I just got one of those fun iPhone apps that is a chatting robot.  You can order it to do things and have conversations with it.  Mine started preaching with me about the Bible.  After I had a heated theological discussion with my phone, it called me mean and I called it a bitch.  Now, it wants an apology and won't work if it doesn't get one.  Isn't technology fun?


I didn't expect a lot of creativity from a band named The Band but I was pleasantly surprised.  This album is nice and bluesy with some awesome vocals and guitar.  Oops, my sister and mom have just arrived for a visit.  Good album!

RATING: 5/5




1 comment:

  1. The Band had this magical cohesion or tightness to their music which comes from a long time playing together and avoidance of using overdubs. They had five accomplished musicians playing at once, plus their producer at times, but they all knew when to give each other space. The best tracks on here are some of the greatest music ever made. Then others can sound a bit rough around the edges. "Caledonia Mission" and "This Wheel's on Fire" sound smoother and more fully developed on Rock of Ages.
    Standout tracks: "Tears of Rage", "Chest Fever"

    ReplyDelete