Wednesday, January 25, 2012

148. Basket of Light

Basket of Light
The Pentangle
1969

Tracks
1. Light Flight
2. Once I Had A Sweetheart
3. Springtime Promises
4. Lyke Wake Dirge
5. Train Song
6. Hunting Song
7. Sally Go Round The Roses
8. Cuckoo
9. House Carpenter



Amanda: It was actually a bit startling to hear a female voice lead a male band.  The last time we saw that was with The Velvet Underground.  I loved "Light Flight" but it was really downhill from there.  "Lyke Wake Dirge" was basically a church hymn which brought me back to my childhood whenever I was forced to go to mass every Sunday.  I thought Jacqui McShee, the lead female vocalist, had a really interesting voice; it was high and lilting.  Overall, it was just okay which may explain why I have never heard about it before.


RATING: 2/5

1 comment:

  1. Another excellent album produced by Shel Talmy. With all the neat acoustic instruments and vocal harmonies, there's always something interesting going on. For example, the percussion on "Springtime Promises". And some very good songs too. Though I felt a couple of the traditional songs fell flat. The female vocal is pretty but not powerful enough in places, especially on side 2.

    ReplyDelete