Wednesday, January 18, 2012

121. The United States of America

The United States of America
The United States of America
1968

Tracks
1. The American Metaphysical Circus
2. Hard Coming Love
3. Cloud Song
4. The Garden Of Earthly Delights
5. I Won’t Leave My Wooden-Wife For You, Sugar
6. Where Is Yesterday
7. Coming Down
8. Love Song For The Dead Ché
9. Stranded In Time
10. The American Way Of Love



Amanda: USA! USA! USA!


Actually, I am pretty sure that the title was more of a "fuck you" since the lead singer was a Communist in 1960s America.  Now, I appreciate sticking it to the man, but I really hated this album.  It reminded me of those obnoxious radio shows that use way to many sound effects.  Plus, what was with "The American Way of Love"? My memories of your previous songs are not that fond, guys.  People hated this album when it came out.  According to Byrd, it was because "they didn't understand the politics of it".  I am not saying that is not a factor, but maybe they just hated it because it sucked.  Just a thought.

RATING: 1/5




1 comment:

  1. Seems like a unified work rather than just a bunch of tracks thrown together. The songs are good all the way through, and I enjoyed the trippy sounds. Dorothy Moskowitz' vocals have a quality of sincerity and she doesn't overpower the songs. I find this a very fine album, they make avant-garde enjoyable. And glad it's here because this is likely the only way I would have heard of it.

    ReplyDelete