Wednesday, January 11, 2012

98. Sunshine Superman

Sunshine Superman
Donovan
1967

Tracks
1. Sunshine Superman
2. Legend Of A Girl Child Linda
3. Three Kingfishers
4. Ferris Wheel
5. Bert's Blues
6. Season Of The Witch
7. The Trip
8. Guinevere
9. The Fat Angel
10. Celeste



Amanda: This album kind of threw me.  I am so used to male harmonies now that listening to a solo artist was a bit disconcerting.  I got over it, though, and was able to enjoy a fantastic album.


These songs are really spectacular; they are a mix between psychedelia and British folk rock.  I believe I have already expressed my views on England to the point of redundancy.  Naturally, I loved the style.  It was a nice change to just listen to one voice and what an amazing voice it was.


RATING: 4/5

I can't stop listening to "These Days" and I am getting really depressed.

Brie: At this point in Donovan's career, he had established himself as a teen pop idol. I really liked his mixture of acoustic and electric guitars. Overall, the album was very calm, and the title track was pretty groovy. And why was I not surprised when I heard an amplified sitar in some of the songs?

I know, Amanda, I keep listening to "White Rabbit" and "These Days".

RATING: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I liked three tracks on this, and the rest was pretty ho-hum for me. Okay as background music while doing other things. "Season of the Witch" is a great recording, seems ahead of its time for 1966.

    ReplyDelete