Monday, January 16, 2012

109. The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter

The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
The Incredible String Band
1968

Tracks
1. Koeeoaddi There
2. Minotaur's Song
3. Witches Hat
4. Very Cellular Song
5. Mercy I Cry City
6. Waltz of the New Moon
7. Water Song
8. Three Is a Green Crown
9. Swift as the Wind
10. Nightfall



Amanda: This is definitely a different kind of album.  I mean, you don't sing songs about minotaurs and witches without being heavily influenced by drugs.  Apparently this is the album where they peaked, and it was downhill from here.


This band is incredibly outlandish, and I can see why some people don't like them.  They wanted to shock and awe so much that I was a little bit turned off as well.  However, overall, I enjoyed it.  It was pretty fun and catchy.  Worth listening to just to see if your reaction is to run or bob your head.


RATING: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I found the first half quite good, very inventive and unique not just in instrumentation but song structure too. There is some very good songwriting but it's subtle at times. On the second half, the warbly singing with the pitch all over the place was distracting, and the songs not as good. The array of strange sounds kept me interested.

    ReplyDelete