Tuesday, January 24, 2012

141. Gilded Palace of Sin

Gilded Palace of Sin
The Flying Burrito Brothers
1969
Tracks
1. Christine's Tune
2. Sin City
3. Do Right Woman Do Right Man
4. Dark End Of The Street
5. My Uncle
6. Wheels
7. Juanita
8. Hot Burrito No 1
9. Hot Burrito No 2
10. Do You Know How It Feels
11. Hippie Boy

Amanda: I just finished making my New Years resolutions for 2012.  One of my goals is to reach 506 in albums.  I really want to have my 506th be on next New Year's Eve.  This means that I really have to stick to my one a day rule.  Wish me luck!


So in the midst of the decline of psychedelia comes this country album.  It, of course, bombed when it was released because no one wanted to hear country.  I still don't want to hear country.  I simply don't enjoy these kinds of albums but it is a pretty decent country album.  The instruments in this album were really odd; I felt like they were mixing Pink Floyd and The Louvin Brothers.

RATING: 2/5 (if you are a country fan it is a solid 4/5)

1 comment:

  1. I can see why country fans would have been confused. Hot Burrito No. 1 and No. 2 don't really belong on a country or country-rock album (though I like them a lot) - the first being soul, and the second straight pop sounding like Todd Rundgren. The covers on side 1 are at times R&B or soul and at other times countrified, within the same song. The quality is good, just seems an odd mix. I preferred the more pure country-rock on "Wheels" and "Juanita" especially the lead vocal harmonies.

    ReplyDelete