Wednesday, January 25, 2012

160. Stand!

Stand!
Sly and the Family Stone
1969

Tracks
1. Stand!
2. Don't Call Me Nigger, Whitey
3. I Want To Take You Higher
4. Somebody's Watching You
5. Sing A Simple Song
6. Everyday People
7. Sex Machine
8. You Can Make It If You Try



Amanda: So I am running around doing work like a maniac to try to get things together because I am going out of town tomorrow.  Excuse me if this post is a little rushed.


This album is probably the funkiest one we have had so far.  Some of the songs sounded vaguely familiar, especially "Everyday People" but I couldn't place where I had heard them.  Other songs just got on my nerves.  "Don't Call Me Nigger, Whitey" didn't annoy me for its message but for its stuck-in-headable tune.  Not something you want to be singing to yourself as you walk around.  Interesting, but nothing something that I would return to.

RATING: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. I like that Sly Stone had his own horn section and backing singers as part of the band. It makes a big difference from bringing in session players. The music is very cohesive, and rich with interesting sounds. The musicianship on "Sex Machine" is impressive. Larry Graham and Greg Errico are on Rolling Stone's lists of greatest bass players and drummers.

    ReplyDelete