Tuesday, January 17, 2012

115. Live at Folsom Prison

Live at Folsom Prison
Johnny Cash
1968

Tracks
1. Folsom Prison Blues
2. Dark As The Dungeon
3. I Still Miss Someone
4. Cocaine Blues
5. 25 Minutes To Go
6. Orange Blossom Special
7. The Long Black Veil
8. Send A Picture Of Mother
9. The Wall
10. Dirty Old Egg-Sucking Dog
11. Flushed From The Bathroom Of Your Heart
12. Jackson
13. Give My Love To Rose
14. I Got Stripes
15. Green, Green Grass Of Home
16. Greystone Chapel



Amanda: First of all, the track list above is from the original 1968 release.  There was a re- release in 1999 but we have to stay authentic here.


This is a recording of a concert Cash gave at a prison.  This means you get to hear the crowd's reactions to certain songs and lyrics which is truly special.  I say that because Cash is not afraid to insult law enforcement or preach crime in this album, so the audience really loves him.  I think Cash had the same problem that Sinatra had during his albums.  He had a wonderful voice, but a very monotonous one, so it got boring towards the end.  Still, if you take breaks it is quite enjoyable, even if you are not a big country fan.


RATING: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. I guess for country music this is considered good. I didn't find their sound very interesting, and most of the songwriting so-so. "Folsom Prison Blues" and a few others were all right. They should have used June Carter more, her lead and backing vocals livened things up near the end. Playing an execution for laughs seemed odd to me.

    ReplyDelete