Sunday, January 15, 2012

106. I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)

 I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)
Aretha Franklin
1967

Tracks
1. Respect
2. Drown In My Own Tears
3. I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)
4. Soul Serenade
5. Don't Let Me Lose This Dream
6. Baby, Baby, Baby
7. Dr Feelgood
8. Good Times
9. Do Right Woman Do Right Man 
10. Save Me
11. Change Is Gonna Come



Amanda: If you haven't heard the song "Respect" I am forced to conclude that you come from a distant planet.  However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you haven't heard the rest of the album.  These are truly beautiful songs that range from feminist anthems to a few love songs.  What was really interesting about these songs is that Aretha didn't write the ones she is really famous for.  The song "Respect" was originally sung by Otis Redding but by merely singing it, it became a women/African American rights song.  The same thing is true for "Change is Gonna Come" which was originally sung by Sam Cooke.  Franklin has a wonderful voice that is powerful and womanly.  Absolutely fantastic and a great way to say goodbye to 1967.

RATING: 5/5




1 comment:

  1. Five stars for me as well. They sound very tight for session players, quite refined playing and well arranged too. I found most of the songs very good to great. The singing performances are also impressive, and that's not something that usually interests me much. Though her voice seems poorly recorded.

    ReplyDelete