Wednesday, January 25, 2012

154. Happy Trails

Happy Trails
The Quicksilver Messenger Service
1969

Tracks
1. Who Do You Love
2. When You Love
3. Where You Love
4. How Do You Love
5. Which Do You Love
6. Who Do You Love
7. Mona
8. Maiden Of The Cancer Moon
9. Calvary
10. Happy Trails



Amanda: This is a very guitar heavy album; in fact, the first five tracks are purely instrumental.  The "_____ Do You Love" songs are called a suite (I just learned this but it is probably common knowledge) which means that they are just one continuous track that is divided into six sections. Extensive guitar solos usually means boredom toward the end just because of its repetitiveness but I actually really enjoyed this album.  I loved every part that had vocals and I wish they had had more in there, but you have to admit, the guitar playing was really incredible.  Still, it could have been a bit shorter.  I might just be saying that, though, because I wanted to finish the album before the Golden Globes started and it was taking a really long time.  Stupid Messenger Service!

RATING: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I found the long guitar jams tedious and kind of grating at times. And what an awful idea for an album. I had no idea Bo Diddley's work was so significant that it needed a six-part suite to expand on one song (though the track with the bass solo was good), and then another seven minutes on side 2 to explore one of his B-sides. "Maiden of the Cancer Moon" is a more cohesive track which I actually liked, it's too bad more of the album couldn't have been like that.

    ReplyDelete