Monday, January 30, 2012

167. Arthur

Arthur
The Kinks
1969

Tracks
1. Victoria
2. Yes Sir No Sir
3. Some Mother's Son
4. Drivin'
5. Brainwashed
6. Australia
7. Shangri-la
8. Mr Churchill Says
9. She's Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina
10. Young And Innocent Days
11. Nothing To Say
12. Arthur



Amanda: According to the 1001 editors, the Kinks are apparently essential to our life's work.  Honestly, I feel like I have listened to about ten of their albums.  I mean, they are impressive but not that impressive.  Frankly, I thought this one was one of their worse albums.


That is not to say this album was bad.  It was one of those concept albums that are actually interesting (unlike Tommy).  Still, songs like "Drive" got on my nerves.  "Nothing to Say" was actually really entertaining, though, so it made up for it.  Good, but not their best so I would skip it.

RATING: 4/5


1 comment:

  1. Similar to their previous album, Village Green Preservation Society. I'd say this is an upgrade as it's better produced, you get a greater assortment of interesting sounds including horn section. Mostly great songs as before, but now extended with instrumental parts such as on "Australia". And Ray Davies has doubled down on the concept album, the lyrics are really strong.

    ReplyDelete