Thursday, January 5, 2012

95. Groovin'

Groovin'
The Young Rascals
1967

Tracks
1. Girl Like You
2. Find Somebody
3. I'm So Happy Now
4. Sueño 
5. How Can I Be Sure
6. Groovin'
7. If You Knew
8. I Don't Love You Anymore
9. You Better Run
10. Place in the Sun
11. It's Love



Amanda: I recently had a discussion with my dad about sixties music.  We talked about The Who a little bit but he also brought up Paul Revere and the Riders.  Did not expect that.  So I guess there was a reason for listening to that album after all!

This album was just a big mess of different genres like Nina Simone was.  Okay, my eyes just literally started to close as I was typing that last sentence.  System shutting down, people, let's get a move on!  Some of the songs really got on my nerves ("You Better Run").  I did enjoy "Place in the Sun".  The song, of course, not the boring Elizabeth Taylor movie.  The bossa nova part of the album was actually well-done, the psychedelia, however, was not.


RATING: 3/5


I must be one boring writer.

Brie: The Young Rascals managed to get a few hits, hang with the soul/R&B crowd and open for The Beatles. They are celebrated for their hits, not for their albums, which, if you listened to Groovin' you will hear that they are all over the place. The Young Rascals were quite popular in the mid-sixties, and Groovin' peaked at number four on the US chart.

I really liked "A Girl Like You", "It's Love", and "A Place In The Sun". There really was one of everything on this album. Genres include garage rock, psychedelic, gospel, and soul and R&B. Oh, and Latin and pop.

If you know their song "Groovin'" you pretty much know all you need to know about The Young Rascals. They had a few hits in the sixties that became cliches.

RATING: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. This was a pleasant listen. One catchy tune after another. And really well done, full of good performances and interesting sounds. It isn’t edgy but that’s okay.

    ReplyDelete