Thursday, January 12, 2012

103. Call of the Valley

Call of the Valley
Shivkumar Sharma, Brijbushan Kabra and Hariprasad Chaurasia
1967

Tracks
1. Ahir Bhairav/Nat Bhairav
2. Rag Piloo
3. Bhoop
4. Rag Des
5. Rag Pahadi



Amanda: I am 95% certain that Brie will discuss the spirituality or culture of the music.  I just want readers to know, though, that you can enjoy it whether or not you enjoy meditation or Indian culture.  I did go through an Asian phase a couple years ago.  I put in a zen farm, bamboo, pictures of scenic nature, and Chinese symbols in my room and converted to Buddhism.  I then realized that Buddhism didn't seem logical to me and the sand got everywhere.  I did really enjoy the music, though. This is the kind of music that plays during massages or in health food stores (the latter should be avoided at all costs).  You really can't dislike it; the instruments are played beautifully.  However, it can bore you after awhile.  I would suggest listening to it whenever you are trying to fall asleep or while you drink coffee in the morning.  Really pretty and really different (especially in the sixties).


RATING: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I wish the whole album had been like the last track "Rag Pahadi" - quite pleasant, and the repetition has a hypnotic quality. I found the rest either uncompelling or at times annoying with abrasive instrumentation. The opener "Ahir Bhairav" is interesting in parts and seems like inspiration for "Within You, Without You", as does the percussion on "Rag Piloo".

    ReplyDelete