Friday, January 20, 2012

128. Truth

Truth
Jeff Beck
1968

Tracks
1. Shapes Of Things
2. Let Me Love You
3. Morning Dew
4. You Shook Me
5. Ol' Man River
6. Greensleeves
7. Rock My Plimsoul
8. Beck's Bolero
9. Blues Deluxe
10. I Ain't Superstitious



Amanda: Apparently, the fact that Rod Stewart sang in this album is a big deal.  I know a Jimmy and a John Stewart but I have never heard of Rod (don't hurt me!).  Anyway, I thought he was pretty good.  However, this entire album reeks of pretentiousness; just look at the track names.  "Shapes of Things" and "Morning Dew"?  Come on.  I didn't think the lyrics were even unique/thoughtful.  Of course, the lyrics weren't really important in this album; the guitar was.  I must confess, I was tempted to do a couple of air guitars.  Embarrassing, right?

RATING: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. I too found Rod Stewart pretty good on this. He doesn't dominate the songs like on his solo stuff and his vocals aren't as prominent in the mix. But that's good because he's part of a band. The playing is tremendous and demands to be heard loud. Especially Jeff Beck, but all the musicians; Ronnie Wood very good on bass and it's heavy. "Morning Dew" great rocker and it's a cover of a folk song.

    ReplyDelete