Friday, December 30, 2011

91. Velvet Underground and Nico

Velvet Underground
Velvet Underground and Nico
1967

Tracks
1. Sunday Morning
2. I'm Waiting For The Man
3. Femme Fatale
4. Venus In Furs
5. Run Run Run
6. All Tomorrow's Parties
7. Heroin
8. There She Goes Again
9. I'll Be Your Mirror
10. Black Angel's Death Song
11. European Son



Amanda: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!


At least, it is for me.  Brie will probably put this up later and it will be November.  Which practically makes me a time traveler by the way.


I was trying desperately to fit this album into a Halloween theme.  I got nothing, though it is pretty dark.  It actually discusses drugs really candidly which got it banned off a few radio stations and ignored by others.  In fact, people pretty much hated it when it came out, but now it is called one of the most influential albums of all time.  Brie said I would hate it.  I liked it but didn't love it.  Nico has an amazing voice but she rarely sings in this album.  The main singer did have an interesting voice.  I thought a lot of the songs sounded too similar.  Loved "All Tomorrow's Parties."


RATING: 4/5


Brie saw someone dressed like Buddy Holly today.

Brie: This is my favorite album we have reviewed since Blonde On Blonde. I've actually been a fan of the Velvet Underground for a while now. Not one track on this album can be singled out. They are all so amazing and special in their own way; they are all worth listening to. The album was recorded in New York in an eight hour session that cost $2000. It was produced by Andy Warhol, so I love it even more for that. I have never heard another album quite like this.

Listen to John Cale's viola on "Venus In Furs"! Love it. If I had to pick out a few favorites, they would be "Femme Fatale", and "All Tomorrow's Parties" (which was also Andy Warhol's favorite by the Velvets). By the way, the Velvet Underground is probably the coolest band name I have ever heard.

As Amanda said, Lou Reed's lyrics about sex and drugs are in pretty plain terms, which got the album banned on radio stations. This album, and the Velvet Underground in general, have influenced too many new age, punk and alternative bands to count.

Side note: I am in love with Lou Reed, and our love has endured his recent collaboration with Metallica. Ugh, that was tragic. I still love you, Lou.

RATING: 5/5

3 comments:

  1. Maybe we can find stuff to agree about. Wonderful stuff ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This album has impact that goes beyond putting notes together in a pleasing manner. For example, thanks to "Heroin" I now understand (a bit) what drug use feels like. It's a powerful artistic statement. In contrast, "I'll Be Your Mirror" is a sweet and perfect pop song.

    ReplyDelete