Monday, January 30, 2012

165. Hot Buttered Soul

Hot Buttered Soul
Isaac Hayes
1969

Tracks
1. Walk On By
2. Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic
3. One Woman
4. By The Time I Get To Phoenix



Amanda: I have been really bad about doing these albums lately.  I always notice that blogs that haven't been updated since like 2010 usually have their later posts say things like "I haven't been good about writing lately" and then you never hear from them again.  I promise you, though, I am going to see this through to the end.


All right, elephant in the room; we all thinking about it.  SHAFT!

Good, we got that out of the way.  This is one sexy album.  I mean, look at the title.  I actually enjoyed it, though I may just be prejudice because I like Shaft so much.  Listen to it if you want to be really coooooolllll (said in slow dj voice).

RATING: 4/5


1 comment:

  1. The horns, strings and woodwinds were apparently added later. It's a big orchestral production which winds up being an equal partner on most of the tracks, and it works quite well. I find the outros too long on side 1, but long extended tracks are the point of the album. I preferred "One Woman" particularly the strings shift two minutes in followed by backing vocals which they repeat a few times in the song, really nice.

    ReplyDelete