Wednesday, January 11, 2012

97. Something Else by The Kinks

Something Else by The Kinks
The Kinks
1967

Tracks
1. David Watts
2. Death Of A Clown
3. Two Sisters
4. No Return
5. Harry Rag
6. Tin Soldier Man
7. Situation Vacant
8. Love Me Till The Sun Shines
9. Lazy Old Sun
10. Afternoon Tea
11. Funny Face
12. End Of The Season
13. Waterloo Sunset



Amanda: I am adding this first paragraph on about three months after I wrote this review.  Currently, I am on album number 152. Brie has been busy this year so is not posting them at the frequency that I do with my other blogs.  However, she says that I can post two or three a day and  she will update them if she wants to later.  When you read this, Brie's post might be under mine or maybe not.  A lot of solo reviews are coming up though so I hope you can be satisfied with my dismal knowledge of music.  Carry on, past Amanda.


The Kinks are the ultimate anglophiles and I love them for it.  I have been in love with London since I went the first time when I was in second grade.  English writers, actors, singers,  and even English food (you can get vegetarian fish and chips at a pub in Mayfair) always fascinate me.  Anyway, The Kinks are so wonderfully English that I can't help loving them.


The album is a vast improvement from this first one but unfortunately it was a total flop in 1967.  This is one of my favorite albums that we have listened to.  The songs are about simple, daily English life.  Beautifully written and performed.


RATING: 5/5

Brie: This album contains two big hits by the Kinks: "Waterloo Sunset" and "Death of a Clown". Despite that, Something Else by the Kinks was not very popular, and only reached number 35 in the British charts.

I love the fact that all of the songs are simple vignettes! Very melodious. I guess the album just couldn't compare to the blaring in-your-face psychedelic material being put out by other artists such as Jimi Hendrix and Cream. I think that because the album is so understated, it is all the more charming. I really loved "Two Sisters" and "Waterloo Sunset".

RATING: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite albums because of the great songwriting. I would call more than half of these great songs. I also like that it has a variety of styles, e.g. "Two Sisters" baroque sound with strings and harpsichord, while "No Return" has bossa nova rhythms. Very well produced album too, full of great sounds and Nicky Hopkins back on piano. The mono release sounds much better than the stereo version for me.

    ReplyDelete