Wednesday, January 25, 2012

150. Five Leaves Left

Five Leaves Left
Nick Drake
1969

Tracks
1. Time Has Told Me
2. River Man 
3. Three Hours
4. Day Is Done

5. Way To Blue 
6. Cello Song 
7. Thoughts Of Mary Jane
8. Man In A Shed
9. Fruit Tree
10. Saturday Sun



Amanda: This album was really eerie.  All the tracks had this sad mood to them and I feel like the songs would play at the end of tv show dramas.  Nick Drake died really young which also added to the overall creepy factor.  Don't get me wrong, I really liked it.  It was definitely a different experience especially since the songs we have been listening to lately have been pretty chipper.  Great album; I would like to walk around the city with my hands in my pockets after a break up to this.

RATING: 5/5

1 comment:

  1. The songs are so beautiful and gentle as to make this quite a unique album. Nick Drake's guitar playing is impressive, and the sparse accompaniments suit the somber nature of the songs. I didn't mind the string arrangements, as they seem integral to the songs and not tacked on as an afterthought - except for "Way To Blue" which is just all strings. The lyrics are a bit of a puzzle at times, but interesting and touching.

    ReplyDelete