Monday, October 26, 2020

955. The Rising

The Rising
Bruce Springsteen
2002

















Tracks
1. Lonesome Day
2. Into the Fire
3. Waitin' on a Sunny Day
4. Nothing Man
5. Countin' on a Miracle
6. Empty Sky
7. Worlds Apart
8. Let's Be Friends (Skin to Skin)
9. Further On (Up the Road)
10. Fuse
11. Mary's Place
12. You're Missing
13. Rising
14. Paradise
15. My City of Ruins

I was delighted to find that we still had another Springsteen album on this List. This was written in tribute to the lives lost in 9/11. Honestly, I would like the Boss to hold my hand through every national crisis. Hopefully, we will get our corona album soon.

Once I understood the concept of the album, I was a little wary. Patriotism is dubious virtue, and I thought this might be a knee jerk nationalistic rhetoric. I should have trusted Bruce more. He's an amazing lyricist, and has sympathy for the attackers as well as the victims. A great artist can empathize with anybody, which is exactly what he does here.

Obviously this album is deeply rooted in a particular time and place, but I think it has a timeless quality and is relevant today. Too relevant, actually.

RATING: 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment