Sunday, October 25, 2020

951. American IV: The Man Comes Around

American IV: The Man Comes Around
Johnny Cash
2002



















Tracks
1. The Man Comes Around
2. Hurt
3. Give My Love To Rose
4. Bridge Over Troubled Water
5. I Hung My Head
6. First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
7. Personal Jesus
8. In My Life
9. Sam Hall
10. Danny Boy
11. Desperado
12. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
13. Tear Stained Letter
14. Streets Of Laredo
15. We'll Meet Again

Long time, no see! We haven't had a Johnny Cash album for about 800 entries now. This is like when Bob Dylan popped his head in again in 1997. And much like Dylan's unexpected entry, this isn't the album of a has-been.

Cash's voice has only grown more powerful over time, and his vocals are definitely the focal point of the album. I didn't like all the covers, but not because of what Cash did with them. I just didn't like all the songs; "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" has always gotten on my nerves (who would phrase something that way?).

In a way, it's a pretty depressing album, because you can feel the heaviness Cash brings to every track. But it's a worthy finale to an impressive career.

RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment