Monday, October 26, 2020

954. Under Construction

Under Construction
Missy Elliott
2002

















Tracks
1. Intro/Go To The Floor
2. Bring The Pain
3. Gossip Folks
4. Work It
5. Back In The Day
6. Funky Fresh Dressed
7. P***ycat
8. Nothing Out There For Me
9. Slide
10. Play That Beat
11. Ain't That Funny
12. Hot
13. Can You Hear Me
14. Work It

I knew I was going to enjoy this, because I trust Missy Elliott to explore more interesting themes than what's present in standard hip hop fare. She is always funny and a little weird.

I ended up liking this a lot more than the previous Missy Elliott album. In the last entry, I felt like her speaking to her audience was a somewhat insecure and unnecessary addition, like when writers start their novels with cringey disclaimers that they tried their best. But I appreciated the intimacy that it provided this album.

This is not faux female empowerment like Destiny's Child, and is really good music to boot.

RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment