Wednesday, October 21, 2020

918. Like Water for Chocolate

Like Water for Chocolate
Common
2000











Tracks
1. Time Traveling (A Tribute To Fela)
2. Heat
3. Cold Blooded
4. Dooinit
5. The Light
6. Funky For You
7. The Questions
8. Time Travelin Reprise
9. The 6Th Sense
10. A Film Called Pimp
11. Nag Champa (Afrodisiac For The World)
12. Thelonius
13. Payback Is A Grandmother
14. Geto Heaven Remix T.S.O.I.
15. A Song For Assata
16. Pops Rap III....All My Children

This album automatically scored points for me by being named after one of my favorite novels, Like Water for Chocolate. Based on Common's interviews, I guess it was more of a reference to the movie than the novel, but I'm still excited.

Unfortunately, for the most part this is a rather ordinary hip hop album with the same kind of grandiose bragging, with a dash of misogyny and homophobia thrown in for good measure. I think of how many great artists have appeared on the List and created beautiful music based on their vulnerabilities. And then you have this kind of grand standing, and it just seems hollow and immature. 

But he also referenced the Hardy Boys, so I'm torn.

RATING: 3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment