Wednesday, October 21, 2020

914. The Hour of the Bewilderbeast

The Hour of the Bewilderbeast
Badly Drawn Boy
2000



















Tracks
1. The Shining
2. Everybody's Stalking
3. Bewilderbeast 1
4. Fall In A River
5. Camping Next To Water
6. Stone On The Water
7. Another Pearl
8. Body Rap
9. Once Around The Block
10. This Song
11. Bewilderbeast 2
12. Magic In The Air
13. Cause A Rockslide
14. Pissing In The Wind
15. Blistered Heart
16. Disillusion
17. Say It Again
18. Epitaph


Wow, this album really came as a surprise. I had never heard of Badly Drawn Boy before, but based on the album title, I thought this was going to be some angry metal album. Happily, that was not the case.

Instead, I was treated to a beautiful folk rock album that manages to move effortlessly through a variety of styles. As soon as I heard "The Shining" I knew I was listening to something special. 

It's interesting listening to this after Figure 8. They had much of the same vibe, but I think I liked this better. I felt like the arrangements were a bit more complex. Badly Drawn Boy proves there's more to Manchester's music scene than derivative britpop.

RATING: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment