Saturday, October 24, 2020

940. The Blueprint

The Blueprint
Jay-Z
2001










Tracks
1. The Ruler's Back
2. Takeover
3. Izzo (H.O.V.A.)
4. Girls, Girls, Girls
5. Jigga That Nigga
6. U Don't Know
7. Hola' Hovito
8. Heart Of The City (Ain't No Love)
9. Never Change
10. Song Cry
11. All I Need
12. Renegade
13. Blueprint

My friend who is a bit of a hip hop enthusiast has told me that Jay-Z is the best rapper bar none, but he doesn't even make my top ten list. But I don't think my hip hop opinions are taken very seriously by him, though. This might have something to do with my race, or my sex, or the fact that I don't know how to pronounce RZA. In any case, after listening to this album, I still don't think Jay Z is that great.

For the most part, this is standard peacocking fare, replete with swagger and drowning in hos. His diss track to Nas was particularly obnoxious. Nas is a better hip hop artist and Jay Z has sampled from him before. And he attacks Mobb Deep for taking ballet classes a child. Can you imagine possessing such fragile masculinity? It must be exhausting.

I thought Beyonce deserved better but after listening to that Destiny Child's album I guess they deserve each other.

RATING: 2/5


No comments:

Post a Comment