Saturday, October 24, 2020

936. Time (The Revelator)

Time (The Revelator)
Gillian Welch
2001


















Tracks
1. Revelator
2. My First Lover
3. Dear Someone
4. Red Clay Halo
5. April The 14th Part 1
6. Elvis Presley Blues
7. Ruination Day Part 2
8. Everything Is Free
9. I Dream A Highway


We've been treated to excellent folk singers lately and the trend continues with Gillian Welch. This was a really catchy collection of songs that harkened back to the early days of American folk music. 

I enjoyed the dark mood of this album, and the simple arrangements that supported Welch's beautiful voice. Great folk artists can also keep their audience engaged no matter how mournfully they approach their somewhat meandering songs. Welch pulls that off really well here. 

I was reading about some of Welch's other collaborations with Ryan Adams, Emmylou Harris, and Sam Phillips. She's definitely an artist I will be checking out more after I am done with this List (will that day every arrive?).

RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment