Saturday, October 10, 2020

863. Mermaid Avenue

Mermaid Avenue
Billy Bragg & Wilco
1998




Tracks
1. Walt Whitman's Niece
2. California Stars
3. Way Over Yonder In The Minor Key
4. Birds And Ships
5. Hoodoo Voodoo
6. She Came Along To Me
7. At My Window Sad And Lonely
8. Ingrid Bergman
9. Christ For President
10. I Guess I Planted
11. One By One
12. Eisler On The Go
13. Hesitating Beauty
14. Another Man's Done Gone
15. The Unwelcome Guest


Billy Bragg teamed up with Wilco to record selected songs from Woody Guthrie's back catalogue. And the result is pretty amazing.

I really did not enjoy the previous Billy Bragg album on the List, but I have been consistently impressed with Wilco. They are not the musical dream team that I would personally assemble, but they actually really work well together here. The arrangements here are just simple and easy to listen to, with "Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key" being my personal favorite.

A really great tribute to a legend.

RATING: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment