Monday, August 31, 2020

766. Vauxhall and I

Vauxhall and I
Morrissey
1994




Tracks
1. Now My Heart Is Full
2. Spring Heeled Jim
3. Billy Budd
4. Hold On To Your Friends
5. The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get
6. Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
7. I Am Hated For Loving
8. Lifeguard Sleeping, Girl Drowning
9. Used To Be A Sweet Boy
10. The Lazy Sunbathers
11. Speedway

We've seen artists put on some obnoxious personas over the years, but this one really takes the cake. Actually, I guess he isn't really putting anything on. I get the sense this is his genuine personality.

That personality is a very sanctimonious one, wronged by everybody and understood by no one. You can even glean that from the track titles without listening to any of the songs. I actually just read Billy Budd recently, which lends its name to track three, and I can totally see why that story would appeal to him. 

He's a vegetarian who includes literary allusions in his songs. I should love him, but he just makes me roll my eyes. 

RATING: 2/5



No comments:

Post a Comment