Tuesday, August 18, 2020

732. Devotional Songs

Devotional Songs
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
1992











Tracks
1. Allah Hoo Allah Hoo
2. Yaad E Nabi Gulshan Mehka
3. Haq Ali Ali Haq
4. Ali Maula Ali Maula Ali Dam Dam
5. Mast Nazroon Se Allah Bachhae
6. Ni Main Jogi De Naal

And now, for something completely different. This genre of music is known as Qawwali music, which is a form of Islamic devotional singing intended to stir the listener's fervor for God. Well, that's a tall order for me but I appreciate the effort.

So I obviously have no idea what they are saying, but it was interesting hearing something, anything, from the Indian subcontinent. From what I have read, it seems like this music loses something not being performed live. Also, apparently this is about as Western as Qawwali music gets, which explains why the List chose it. 

Overall an interesting entry but obviously not something I am going to put on repeat.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment