Sunday, September 20, 2020

814. Odelay

Odelay
Beck
1996




Tracks
1. Devils Haircut
2. Hotwax
3. Lord Only Knows
4. The New Pollution
5. Derelict
6. Novacane
7. Jack-Ass
8. Where It's At
9. Minus
10. Sissyneck
11. Readymade
12. High 5 (Rock The Catskills)
13. Ramshackle

I don't really like Beck because of his ties to scientology, but he does have any interesting blend of styles. This was a little hip hop, a little folk, and a little rock. It made for a pretty fascinating combination.

I always like music that manages to be a callback and yet somehow a step forward, and Beck achieved that here. We are coming off a string of rather derivative albums, so it stands out even more.

I don't know if I adored this quite as much as you're supposed to (I didn't love all the samples) but it was still enjoyable.

RATING: 4/5



No comments:

Post a Comment