Saturday, June 30, 2012

231. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain
Funkadelic
1971

Tracks
1. Maggot Brain
2. Can You Get to That
3. Hit It and Quit It
4. You and Your Folks, Me and My Folks
5. Super Stupid
6. Back in Our Minds
7. Wars of Armageddon



I tried not to judge this album too harshly before listening to it.  I mean, if you are not supposed to judge a book from its cover I figure the same thing applies to albums.  I also tried to not think too hard about the name of the album and how disgusting it truly is.  I really did not succeed in either area.

However, I read so much about how absolutely amazing the title track was that I was indeed intrigued.  Apparently George Clinton (who sounds like an absolute lunatic) told the guitarist to play like his mother just died and then as if you found out she was alive.



First off, I have to say I found this album jarring.  There were such sweet songwriters and singers before this on the list that I was lulled into an innocent serenity.  And then we just had to get funky.  Damn kids with their noise.


Anyway, I am not a huge guitar solo fan.  I have a guitar that I think my sister gave me when she got sick of it.  I never got rid of it because I figured if I started to play it I would look like this:
No luck so far.  The point is I was not able to appreciate the first track like everyone seems to think you should.  This whole album was way too funky for my taste.  Simply not my genre of choice.

RATING: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment