Friday, June 15, 2012

205. Aqualung

Aqualung
Jethro Tull
1971

Tracks
1. Aqualung
2. Cross Eyed Mary
3. Cheap Day Return
4. Mother Goose
5. Wond'ring Aloud
6. Up To Me 
7. My God 
8. Hymn 43 
9. Slipstream 
10. Locomotive Breath 
11. Wind Up



1971!!!!  This is so weird that it takes around the same time to review 70s albums as it does a century's worth of books.


I listened to this album while reading Cecelia and I have to say, it was quite a pleasant way to pass an hour.  I am apparently supposed to have heard of Jethro Tull but I haven't.  That seems like a name you would remember.  The song "Aqualung" sounded vaguely familiar, though.  The lyrics in this album are both powerful and interesting.  In my research of this album I have read about some complaints people have that the messages are too big for the songs.  True, some of the anti-religion messages seemed like they were there merely because the band wanted to at least mention it once in the album.  Still, I thought the lyrics had a certain force in themselves that I am glad that I heard them.

RATING: 4/5

3 comments:

  1. Just about all you sins - never heard of Derek and the Dominos, disliking Bob Dylan, hating Leonard Cohen .. are mostly forgiven for giving Jethro Tull 4*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete