Saturday, June 16, 2012

208. What's Going On

What's Going On
Marvin Gaye
1971

Tracks
1. What's Going On 
2. What's Happening Brother 
3. Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky) 
4. Save The Children 
5. God Is Love 
6. Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
7. Right On 
8. Wholy Holy 
9. Inner City Blues (Makes Me Wanna Holler)



I have heard this album been called the greatest album of all time.  Not that there is any pressure to like it or anything...


I think everyone has heard the song "What's Going On" and I had also been exposed to "I Heard It Through The Grapevine". I was always impressed with his voice and his handsomeness, though I guess that really isn't pertinent.


Yep, not even thinking about it.  All right, let me start by my complaints.  First of all, this album is really religious which kind of got on my nerves.  Also, all the tracks kind of sounded the same.  I have heard that people gush about how you can't even tell whenever one track starts and another ends.  Since when is diversity in an album condemned?

All right, so I did mention that I think he has a really sexy...ahem, I meant pleasant voice.  Frankly, I didn't care what he was saying as long as he kept singing.  I liked it, but I certainly wouldn't call it the greatest album of all time.  I seem to possess the inability to like the albums I am supposed to.  Not in an annoying hipster way, but just in "I feel like I am too simple to understand this way". I am sure I will gain a greater appreciation along the way, but we are at 208.  Anyway, check it out, just don't expect to have your mind blown.

RATING: 4/5


1 comment:

  1. Same here, nice album but not close to being the greatest. People like to jump on the bandwagon and this is a prime example. But it does have meaningful and socially conscious lyrics, and I liked half the tracks.

    ReplyDelete