Thursday, June 14, 2012

204. The Madcap Laughs

The Madcap Laughs
Syd Barrett
1970

Tracks
1. Terrapin
2. No Good Trying 
3. Love You
4. No Man's Land
5. Dark Globe
6. Here I Go 
7. Octopus 
8. Golden Hair 
9. Long Gone 
10. She Took A Long Cold Look 
11. Feel 
12. If It's In You 
13. Late Night



This is where my rather poor and untrained taste in music actually benefits me.  In terms of real quality, this album does not exactly excel.  Syd Barrett has a bit of trouble hitting high notes, so much so that one of his tracks, I think it was "If It's In You", started over after a painfully struck note.  In addition, you can hear the pages rustle during the album.  Not exactly high brow.


However, I absolutely loved it.  In case you didn't know, this guy was one of the founders of Pink Floyd.  Apparently he pulled an Alexander Spence and sort of lost it and left.  I am not a huge fan of Pink Floyd (despite what I told my attractive blond gentleman friend) but this was incredible.  I thought the lyrics were interesting and the tunes were catchy, particularly "She Took A Long Cold Look".  Definitely check it out.


RATING: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment