Thursday, June 28, 2012

224. Tarkus

Tarkus
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
1971

Tracks
1. Tarkus
2. Jeremy Bender
3. Bitches Crystal
4. Only Way (Hymn)
5. Infinite Space (Conclusion)
6. Time And A Place
7. Are You Ready Eddy



Gees, what is with all this progressive rock?  It is dreadfully pretentious and this is coming from a girl who likes American Beauty.


What is there to even say about this album?  There are very long instrumental tracks ("Tarkus" is around twenty minutes long) and I sometimes felt like I was listening to a video game menu screen.

I frankly did not get it.  There are some albums that I know are trying to send a message or try new things that I just don't like.  This album, however, I don't even understand the appeal of.  I would ask someone to explain it to me but who exactly is

A. Reading this blog
or
B. Listening to this album?


RATING: 2/5

1 comment:

  1. There's a trick to this, you need to pay close attention to the music and probably listen to it at least twice. That's no guarantee you will like it, but I did on second listen.

    Prog seems to have grown from jazz to some extent. I don't think I would be very open to an album like this if I hadn't gone through this list and heard some jazz and some Yes first.

    ReplyDelete