Sunday, June 24, 2012

222. Coat of Many Colors

Coat of Many Colors
Dolly Parton
1971

Tracks
1. Coat of Many Colors 
2. Traveling Man 
3. My Blue Tears 
4. If I Lose My Mind 
5. Mystery of the Mystery 
6. She Never Met a Man (She Didn't Like)
7. Early Morning Breeze 
8. Way I See You
9. Here I Am 
10. Better Place to Live



Before this album, my experience with Dolly Parton was limited to:
This, naturally, was pretty frightening.  I also knew that she was the writer of the song "I Will Always Love You" which is commonly credited to Whitney Houston.

Okay, this is the first country album we have had in awhile, which is not unexpected since we are in the era of rock.  Naturally, it is a bit hokey.  The song "Better Place to Live" talks about loving every one and the song "Coat of Many Colors" is about how being poor was something that brought the family together.  Still, you can't deny she has a fantastic, unique voice.

There is something distinctly likable about this album even though I am not a country fan.  Still, not essential listening.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment