Monday, June 4, 2012

199. John Barleycorn Must Die

John Barleycorn Must Die
Traffic
1970

Tracks
1. Glad
2. Freedom Rider
3. Empty Pages 
4. I Just Want You To Know
5. Stranger To Himself 
6. John Barleycorn
7. Every Mother's Son



Dufflepod readers, you may recall Traffic from their self-titled album awhile back in the sixties.  I really loved that album (especially the song "You Can All Join In").  This album is supposed to be infinitely better so of course, due to my horrible musical taste, I did not like it as much.


This album reminded me of The Fairport Convention; it was both jazzy and folksy.  Not my favorite combination.  Songs like "John Barleycorn" seemed to be trying just a bit too hard.  Traffic is definitely moving in a more artsy, mystical direction which comes across as annoying and pretentious to me.  I don't hate on music with a message but I feel like the message should come across more...effortlessly.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment