Thursday, May 28, 2020

640. Like a Prayer

Like a Prayer
Madonna
1989














Tracks
1. Like a Prayer
2. Express Yourself
3. Love Song
4. Till Death Do Us Part
5. Promise to Try
6. Cherish
7. Dear Jessie
8. Oh Father
9. Keep It Together
10. Spanish Eyes
11. Act of Contrition


I didn't expect to enjoy this one as much as I did. Like most people, I was familiar with a couple of the songs, but I thought those were the stand out tracks, and that the rest would be rather generic 80s pop.

The line between spirituality and love was blurred here, and I enjoyed every minute of it (well, except "Act of Contrition," that was just weird). I loved how cohesive it was, how intimate it was, and how she pulled gospel influences into many of the songs. Also, her music video for "Like a Prayer" pissed off the Vatican, and that's always fun.

See, it's possible to find a good pop album in the 80s. Not probable, of course, but possible.

RATING: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment