Monday, May 18, 2020

630. Viva Hate

Viva Hate
Morrissey
1988














Tracks
1. Alsatian Cousin
2. Little Man, What Now?
3. Everyday Is Like Sunday
4. Bengali In Platforms
5. Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
6. Late Night, Maudlin Street
7. Suedehead
8. Break Up The Family
9. Hairdresser on Fire
10. Ordinary Boys
11. I Don't Mind If You Forget Me
12. Dial-A-Cliché
13. Margaret on the Guillotine


Well, Morrissey has officially gone solo, and now can fully indulge his desire to be a moody grumpster. I might have a higher whine tolerance than some though; I actually found something to like here.

I do have some qualms. Was it really necessary to make "Late Night, Maudlin Street" eight minutes long? That was probably the biggest "woe is me" track of the bunch. I felt like "Margaret on the Guillotine" was an attempt to be really edgy and daring, but sort of fell flat.

That being said, there a few good tracks in here and they are probably the best songs Morrissey has given us yet ("Everyday is Like Sunday" and "Suedehead"). Other than that, the album is mostly skippable.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment