Sunday, May 3, 2020

615. Idlewild

Idlewild
Everything But the Girl
1988














Tracks
1. I Don't Want to Talk About It
2. Love Is Here Where I Live
3. These Early Days
4. I Always Was Your Girl
5. Oxford Street
6. Night I Heard Caruso Sing
7. Goodbye Sunday
8. Shadow on a Harvest Moon
9. Blue Moon Rose
10. Tears All Over Town
11. Lonesome For a Place I Know
12. Apron Strings


Tracey Thorn has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. That's not to say the style of music in this album is my favorite, but I have a feeling Thorn could sing just about anything and make it lovely. 

This is an early example of "sophisti-pop" which is a blend of jazz, pop, and soul. As a genre, it doesn't have much of an edge and could probably be classified as "easy listening."

But as I said earlier, the album is elevated by Thorn's ridiculous talent as a vocalist. Since women are few and far between on this List, this was definitely a refreshing change.

RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment