Saturday, April 18, 2020

599. Strangeways, Here We Come

Strangeways Here We Come
The Smiths
1987














Tracks
1. Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
2. I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
3. Death Of A Disco Dancer
4. Girlfriend In A Coma
5. Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
6. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
7. Unhappy Birthday
8. Paint A Vulgar Picture
9. Death At One's Elbow
10. I Won't Share You



I am doubling up on albums today, because I like hitting milestones like Joss Whedon likes killing off my favorite characters. I am also completing a 30 day yoga challenge today, so it seemed like a good day to reach 600 as well. We are also saying goodbye to the Smiths today and I will reluctantly admit I am bummed.

Something about this album was different than their previous entries on the List, but I am struggling to put it into words (which, for a writer, is a tickle-me-pink kind of feeling). I suppose it felt more ethereal and less frantic, like they all took a deep, calming breath before recording the first track. The lyrics were more interested in telling intimate stories than making persuasive arguments, which is a definite improvement from Meat is Murder. 

My philosophy is that it is better to finish strong than start strong, and the Smiths certainly had a strong finish. Now, I'll just pop some aspirin and get to our next album, Appetite for Destruction.

RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment