Friday, April 17, 2020

598. The New Tango

The New Tango
Astor Piazzolla and Gary Burton
1987

















Tracks
1. Milonga Is Coming
2. Vibraphonissimo
3. Little Italy 1930
4. Nuevo Tango
5. Laura's Dream
6. Operation Tango
7. Muerta del Angel


After yesterday's debacle, I was prepared to heap praise on any album that did not feature a baby voice or a clown. This certainly isn't my favorite style of music, but it was a decent chaser after Trauma Thursday. 

This genre is known as "nuevo tango" which I guess means new tango, or tango music that you could never dance to. That's okay, though, I still enjoyed this, even though I typically complain about instrumental-only tracks. I feel like it really captured the feel of Argentina. Of course, I've never been to Argentina, but hey, good music takes you places you've never been and can't go to because of the coronavirus. 

This is an odd album for the List, it seems like it actually belongs on the 1001 Classical Recordings List (which is like this List, but fancy). But I am still glad I heard it. 

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment