Tuesday, April 7, 2020

588. Trio

Trio
Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, and Linda Ronstadt
1987















Tracks
1. Pain Of Loving You
2. Making Plans
3. To Know Him Is To Love Him
4. Hobo's Meditation
5. Wildflowers
6. Telling Me Lies
7. My Dear Companion
8. Those Memories Of You
9. I've Had Enough
10. Rose Wood Casket
11. Farther Along


I usually don't like pure country, and prefer when it's diluted by some other genre, and I am not picky about which. But it doesn't get more country than Dolly Parton.

Parton is a very talented songwriter, but she can only claim credit for writing/cowriting two songs on this album. Of course, they are the best ones, with "Wildflowers" being my favorite song on the album.  We see so many talented bands write their own songs, I find it rather boring to listen to album of ole country covers, even with vocalists as talented as these three.

Most of these songs are about men doing you wrong. I am not exactly a stranger to the topic but I wish female country musicians could work with another thesis. Of course, there are exceptions, with "Hobo's Meditation" being one of them. But I found that song rather cringey anyway.

So a pretty dull album, but there is certainly a lot of talent behind this album. Just not my cup of tea.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment