Sunday, April 12, 2020

593. Music for the Masses

Music for the Masses
Depeche Mode
1987















Tracks
1. Never Let Me Down Again
2. Things You Said
3. Strangelove
4. Sacred
5. Little 15
6. Behind The Wheel
7. I Want You Now
8. To Have And To Hold
9. Nothing
10. Pimpf


I had a delightful Sunday morning reading in bed (Complicity by Iain Banks) and listening to Depeche Mode. An odd pairing, but it turned out to work. Much like Draco Malfoy/Hermione Granger fanfiction.

I feel like I associate the 80s with a distinctive sound that we are now (thankfully) moving away from. This was a synthpop album but with very little cheese. In fact, the lyrics were surprisingly thoughtful. I didn't know what to make of the title, I feel like music people in general have contempt for the "masses" so wasn't sure if we were going to be served trashy trash, but this didn't feel trashy. I guess it's more of a joke, because this isn't a very commercial album, and they don't believe the masses have the cerebral ability to "get" this album. In any case, it's worthy of an eye roll.

I hope everybody's Easter was filled with more chocolate than mine was. 

RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment