Monday, February 1, 2016

419. Dire Straits

Dire Straits
Dire Straits
1978














Tracks
1. Down To The Waterline
2. Water Of Love 
3. Setting Me Up 
4. Six Blade Knife 
5. Southbound Again 
6. Sultans Of Swing 
7. In The Gallery
8. Wild West End 
9. Lions


I know, I know.  I didn't write a post yesterday.  I know my followers (i.e. my mother) were probably devastated.  I did listen to this album yesterday, but couldn't come up with my usual brilliant, biting commentary (i.e. It was okay, I guess. Not my favorite) at 11:47 pm.  I still can't think of anything to say about this album, due to its overall meh factor.

Dire Straits seems to be classified as pub rock, a genre I am not too familiar with, unless you count New Boots and Panties, which I am trying to forget ever happened.  I got exciting thinking that the album might be a taste of London life (particularly when the song "Wild West End" came on) but I found the lyrics to be rather uninspired.  "Southbound Again" was rather boring in that respect.

Still, I am glad I listened to it since I was familiar with the band name.  Overall not too impressive.

RATING: 3/5

3 comments:

  1. Alas, a twist of fate! A discrepancy, at last!
    I find Mark Knopfler's guitar one of the things that makes life worth living. I am convinced that if I ever have any suicidal thought; the "Sultans of Swing" solo will make me come back to my senses.
    So, will our partnership survive this setback?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. I hope so! If we can survive the Philadelphia Story setback, we can survive anything.

      Delete
    2. Philadelphia Story? That was... 135? Oh dear, the Dark Times. I wouldn't pay much attention to my "one-hundreds", especially comedies. That was not the happiest moments of my life, you know? :(

      Delete