Saturday, February 6, 2016

425. Ambient 1: Music For Airports

Ambient 1: Music For Airports
Brian Eno
1978














Tracks
1. 1/1 
2. 2/1 
3. 1/2 

4. 2/2 

I asked for a break from punk and I got it with an album that has no lyrics and a very loose definition of what music actually is.  Surprisingly, I loved every minute of it.

This album oozes pretension, from the track titles to the album cover.  Still, at its core it is a damn good album.  I am not saying it is music you put on en route to work or when you feel like dancing.  But it works well as installation music; apparently, it played at the main terminal of LaGuardia airport in the eighties.  I was writing while I listened to this and it really put me at ease.  That's saying something, as I have been particularly fussy lately.

There is something almost distant about this music.  I felt like I was passing a house and could only faintly hear piano notes from within.  Very peaceful and exactly what I needed after X-Ray Spex.

RATING: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. This is the Brian Eno I knew and loved!
    I used to study with this kind of music at the University. In a matter of speaking, I owe him my degree... and everything that that has brought to me. Therefore I couldn't say anything wrong about him even thou his earlier albums were... well, weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I am going to listen to him next time I have to study. That's a great idea.

      Delete