Monday, February 15, 2016

430. (GI)

(GI)
The Germs
1979














Tracks
1. What We Do is Secret
2. Communist Eyes
3. Land of Treason
4. Richie Dagger's Crime
5. Strange Notes
6. American Leather
7. Lexicon Devil
8. Manimal
9. Our Way
10. We Must Bleed
11. Media Blitz
12. The Other Newest One
13. Let's Pretend
14. Dragon Lady
15. The Slave
16. Shut Down (Annihilation Man)


This is the only album made by the band Germs, as the vocalist Darby Crash committed suicide a year after its release.  As such it makes for a pretty disturbing record.  Well, I guess I should say more disturbing than usual, as punk is always supposed to be somewhat disturbing.

I have actually been appreciating punk albums lately, but this was just everything that is wrong with the genre: screaming vocals, asinine lyrics, and intense narcissism.  This feels like a step backwards, as the genre had been developing in a positive direction before this. I suppose it got its place on the List because of Crash's early death.

I don't have to lot more to say about this album.  I will just limp away now with my earplugs in, mumbling about kids and their music.

RATING: 2/5

2 comments: