Tuesday, February 23, 2016

436. Unknown Pleasures

Unknown Pleasures
Joy Division
1979















Tracks
1. Disorder
2. Day Of The Lords
3. Candidate
4. Insight
5. New Dawn Fades
6. She's Lost Control
7. Shadowplay
8. Wilderness
9. Interzone
10. I Remember Nothing


I put off writing the review of this album, as I was writing approximately 5906 movie reviews and didn't have time.  I might have waited a bit too long, as the specifics of this one are kind of fading from my memory.   Still, I really enjoyed it so I will do my best.

I was a bit wary of this one, as the band name is a bit...odd.  Apparently, the band is named after the groups of Jewish women kept in concentration camps for the sexual pleasure of the Nazis.  So is this just a deliberate attempt to be perverse?  I am not sure I get it and even more unsure if I want to.

But, like I said, I enjoyed this album.  It's certainly a depressing album, but it is not upsetting to listen to; in fact, some of the songs were downright catchy.  My favorite was "She Lost Control" but really, there is no bad track in this album.

Almost to the eighties!

RATING: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. Joy division were about the final grasp of me trying to keep abreast of 'current' groups and Albums. I had this one .. (I even had the Tshirt).. I thought they were pretty good. Are you familiar with (What I thought was one of the best singles ever) 'Love will tear us apart'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! I like the song, though the music video always fills me with dread for some reason.

      Delete
  2. Your comment made me think .. I hadn't ever seen the video .. (OK, I know .. different generation, OK?)... So, with the miracle of an internet search ..
    Not sure when it fills you with such dread .. a fairly standard Music video of it's age .. If you wish to talk about your reason, I would be interested .. (Not here .. I don't usually come onto this music blog that much ..)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the doors opening slowly and knowing about Ian Curtis's death. I don't know...it just made me uneasy.

    ReplyDelete