Saturday, January 30, 2016

418. Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
Devo
1978














Tracks
1. Uncontrollable Urge 
2. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
3. Praying Hands 
4. Space Junk 
5. Mongoloid 
6. Jocko Homo 
7. Too Much Paranoias
8. Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy 
9. Come Back Jonee 
10. Sloppy (I Saw My Baby Gettin')
11. Shrivel Up


What a snappy title this album has.  Thankfully, it recovers from its titular flow problems.  Recently, it's like the musicians are trying to make us lower our expectations by wrecking first impressions (I'm looking at the cover of Siembra when I say that).  Maybe it's a good strategy, because I actually really enjoyed this, despite the fact that the term "new wave" makes me skittish.

Lately all my favorite songs have been covers.  At least Devo had an interesting take on "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."  Still, at least the cover was about something as harmless as a meaningless existence.  "Mongoloid" took a turn for the offensive, as you could have probably surmised from its title.  The lyrics were"Mongoloid, he was a mongoloid.  One chromosome too many."  What reason could you have for writing a song like that?  Trying to get a reaction?  That kind of thought process usually makes me lose respect for artists.

Still, enjoyable enough and actually was over faster than I would have liked.  And that's a statement I very rarely make.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment